Saturday, July 18, 2009

My New Journey

The week before last I had a little bit of a scare with chest pain. I called my nurse practitioner and told her, and because I had a little pain in my jaw as well, she sent me to the ER. When you present at the ER with chest pain there are advanced protocols they follow....one of which is giving Nitro glycerin...the nurse told me that it might make me feel a little "light-headed"...she lied. I ended up with a headache from hell! Anyway...the next week I saw a new doctor who was recommended by my dad (also a doctor). This was the wake-up call I needed. He was very honest with me about the state of my health now and what it will be if I don't get serious about exercise and weight loss. For the next year I have added another full-time job to my already busy life.....my health is now front and center. Jena read us a poem during one of our Art and Soul sessions and thinking about my life now it makes so much sense. The poem is by Mary Oliver.

The Journey

One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice--
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do--
determined to save
the only life you could save.


Mary Oliver

There is something really fun about this. I have rejoined the gym and started going to Nia classes again. I took a class with a friend (amazing talent)....smiled through the entire workout and just felt better about everything. If you live in the Charlottesville area you should really check out classes by this woman and this woman and this woman. They are all so talented and bring such beautiful energy to their classes.

2 comments:

  1. i love this poem so much... we need to swap poetry books sometime. ;)
    did you go this morning? i thought of you! can't wait til tomorrow!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great poem by Mary Oliver. And so true! I'm glad that you listened to your inner voice and to the advice of your nurse and went to the hospital. Pain in our jaws can indicate problems in other parts of our body, including the heart. And good for you for rejoining the gym and taking Nia classes. I hadn't heard of Nia classs before. What are they like?

    Btw, I'm also trying to lose weight and lower my triglyceride levels. Aside from going to a new gym which has been GREAT, I've started eating more vegetarian meals and making recipes from scratch with spices and without any processed foods. So far so good. The weight is coming off slowly but I feel physically healthier and stronger.

    ReplyDelete