At the invitation of Misty Mawn, I decided to participate in her informal self-portrait Wednesdays. I know, it is Friday! This is probably one of the most uncomfortable projects I've undertaken so I kept putting it off. I do not like to be photographed and I hide from the camera. I secretly delete photos that my husband or anyone else has taken (just the ones with me in them). In photos I am barely recognizable to myself. I keep thinking that I should see the Kristin in her 20s...petite....thin...more comfortable with her outward appearance. I am now 42....I've had 4 children...I have more emotional baggage...I have external scars as well as the ones on my heart. I have always been an emotional eater and the older I've gotten the more difficult it is to get rid of excess weight. I keep telling myself that "I am not defined by my body". While I can understand this on an intellectual level......on an emotional level I refuse to believe it. I want to see something else...someone else! Through these self-portraits I am going to try to see myself as I see others......be more forgiving of myself as I am of others......to try to find the beauty in the "abandoned house that has been neglected for too many years".

Kristin, you brave and wonderful girl. You made me brave enough to post my own SPs. You are powerful, my dear.
ReplyDeleteHappy days,
Joanie
you are beautiful just the way you are, i promise you this!!!!!
ReplyDeletei am so happy you are posting self portratis ... i think you will start to feel more and more comfortable taking and posting as time goes by, just like most everything, it takes some time to get used to the idea, but already? these are beautiful!!!!
Kristin, you are beautiful inside & out.
ReplyDeleteHello you!
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to be married to a Woman like this, she is so much a perfectionist in her art. Yes I am the lucky guy that married this wonderfully georgious creature.
ReplyDelete