Friday, March 13, 2009

Mask Making


I would like to introduce you to two amazing women in my expressive arts therapy class.....Charlie and Heather. Last night we made masks of our faces. We turned into Sculptresses as we very gently and lovingly placed layers of plaster over each other's faces.....some with eyes and mouth shut....others chose to leave eyes wide open. I imagined what it must be like to be blind....to use my hands as eyes and feel the shape of someone's face. This was a very intimate process of both giving and receiving and took an incredible amount of trust. I've had issues with trust in the past and was amazed that I was able to surrender and receive this lovely gift of touch. Jena quietly told us to just relax....to take our time emerging from our masks....finding our own way out. I smiled....I wiggled....I scrunched up my nose....I made funny faces under the mask to loosen it......finally, I used my hands to pry the edge of the mask away from my face.....when I did "emerge" Jena was sitting beside me......and said "look at your beautiful face". Those who know me know that I absolutely LOVE birds.....I felt like a newly born bird looking at her mother.....I smiled and am still smiling. Even lovlier was to watch the other women in the class emerge from their masks and see themselves as if it was the first time. Charlie emerged while lying down and then sat up and held her beautiful face in her hands........Heather chose to wander around the room with her mask still on......soaking up everything and allowing me to take photos of her beside her self-portrait. She finally "emerged" while standing up and look how beautiful she looks......gazing at herself! Thank you to all of the beautiful women who have touched my life and my soul.....the women who are here on earth and the ones who have left it.............I love you all! "The light in me sees the light in you!"
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I love your words about this and the pictures. So big and beautiful. Would you email me those pictures. I would love to have them. And I do love the winged message photos. You have an eye. Oh and one day I am going to get you to show me how to use beeswax to create the collages and pages in a journal. I will post another writing today. I think you are def. helping me commit. Thanks. Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin,
    I LOVE this! And apparently I am having trouble commenting... I've tried a couple of times. I love your blog, the photos, the winged messages... keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete