Saturday, October 3, 2009

So many thoughts tonight...............

As I sit here tonight I don't even know where to begin....there is so much goodness to share. As many of you know, last night was the opening of Jena Leake's Expressive Arts Therapy group show...."Messages from the Wild Soul....Adventures in Art and Life". I was so honored to be a part of this group and share the evening with my "soul sistas". Over the past week all of us have expressed our nervous anticipation about the show....thinking about speaking in front of a group of friends and strangers was a bit daunting. The inner critic who sits on my shoulder made sure I knew all of the things that could go wrong.....the worst being that I would freeze up and not be able to speak at all. At 6:30 Jena and her husband Robert used beautiful chimes to signal the beginning of our presentation. Jena introduced our guests to the studio, our process and to us with a beautiful poem written about us and for us by her. She was positively radiant as she spoke and it gave me chills. One by one we began to share our "adventures in art and life". It was truly inspiring and beautiful to hear the stories ....such brave, beautiful and courageous souls! I was surprised that when I spoke I was not nearly as nervous as I thought I would be. In fact, I think I could have spoken a little longer.....there was so much goodness to share. I was overwhelmed by the kind comments and hugs that I received from people I had never met. Surprised that I didn't hide from the camera.....for those of you who know me well....that is HUGE!! I will be posting more about the show along with photos over the next week.

You know how sometimes you meet someone and you just feel an instant connection? You just get a sense that you can speak freely. I had an experience like that today at work. I believe that you can tell a lot about someone by their eyes....they are the "windows to the soul"....this donor who came in today....a beautiful woman with beautiful presence had these eyes. We began talking about the Farmer's Market and I just felt that I should share my poem experience with her. I told her about Charlotte Matthews, her little yellow desk, her vintage typewriter and the beautiful poem she wrote for me a few weeks ago. You could just tell that she was delighted with the idea and the wheels were already turning....she wanted some poems for a very special woman. Another beautiful soul who is very sick right now. As it turns out, we have been speaking with each other for the past few weeks....coordinating blood for her friend. We hugged and she shared a beautiful story with me about a children's choir in NYC who sang Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide". I have to try to find this on YouTube. We talked about our desire to share goodness and hope....not only within our own family but to send "winged messengers" to our community and out into the world. I love these moments.....

There is still so much to share.....my experiences from last night and this morning still seeping into my heart and soul.

from Picking Clean the Bones by Sally Atkins

It matters what you did this morning
and last Saturday night
And last year,
Not because you are important
But because you are in it
And it is still moving,
We are all in this story together.
Listen:
In the silence between there is music;
In the spaces between there is story.
Pay attention:
We are listening each other into being.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful experience, Kristin! To listen to other women's experiences with art and life...to hear their creative process... A group of creative women can be a powerful force, can't they? Can't we?! And good for YOU for getting up there and speaking about your own experiences, Kristin!

    PS: If you ever find that YouTube video of the children's choir singing Landslide, let me know. That's such a good song, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete